The Centre for Ocean Law and Policy (OLAP), aspires to be Malaysia's national centre of excellence for research in ocean law and policy issues. OLAP aims to provide timely and relevant advice and policy options as well as to identify key areas of interest for Malaysia's multi-disciplinary realm of Ocean and maritime law that encompass the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS 1982) and other related international law, as well as maritime and admiralty law.
OLAP reinforces close working relationships with relevant stakeholders such as the Ministry of Transport, the Marine Department, the National Security Council, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Attorney General's Chambers, as well as fostering links with other local and regional think tanks and international organisations such as the International Maritime Organisation (IMO), Division for Ocean Affairs and the Law of the Sea (DOALOS), International Labour Organisation (ILO) and similar entities.
OLAP undertakes the role of promoting awareness in ocean law and maritime legal aspects to appropriate stakeholders and the public, by conducting seminars, training workshops and conferences.
Thrust of Research
OLAP's Key Research Areas cover various issues of national importance such as, but not limited to:
- Ocean Governance
- Territorial and Maritime Boundary Dispute
- Marine Environmental Protection
- Maritime Dispute Resolution
- Feasibility studies on conventions
- Carriage by Sea
- Marine Insurance
- Other contemporary ocean law issues
Additionally, OLAP's continuous dissemination of maritime legal knowledge through seminars, workshops and conferences has triggered considerable interest amongst stakeholders in the country and its researchers are regularly invited to deliver lectures to their staffs.
- National Security Council under the Prime Minister's Department
- Ministry Of Transport, in particular Maritime Division
- Marine Department Malaysia
- Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency under the Prime Minister's Department
- The Attorney General's Chambers under the Prime Minister's Department
- Ministry of Defence
- Department of Environment
- Department of Fisheries
- National Maritime Council
- National Shipping Council
- Port authorities and operators
- Shipping companies
- Shipyard operators
- Maritime support services providers
- Logistics players